I don't think you will find a better Matcha Choc Chip cookie recipe - it's just a bonus that it's vegan! Perfect quick and easy cookies that are light and chewy.
Prep & Baking Time: 25 minutes
What you will need to bake 40 small or 30 medium cookies
- 1 cup softened vegan butter - I use Olivani
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup soy milk / milk of choice
- 1 3/4- 2 cups plain flour
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp Thea Ingredient Grade Matcha
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (don't pack)
- Pinch of rock salt
- 1/3 -1/2 cup (50g~) of Vegan Dark Chocolate chopped into chip pieces ( we used Whittakers 72% dark chocolate)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring utensils
Cream your 1:1 softened vegan butter and brown/caster sugar mix
Add your vanilla extract and carefully incorporate the soy milk until you get a nice combined paste
I say carefully as I splashed milk all over me at least twice while recipe testing this haha
It should look nice and silky like the above :)
Now add the sifted dry ingredients Matcha, Flour, Baking Soda & Salt.
I just do this over the top or move the wet mix to the side, as I feel like there's no need to bring out another bowl. Do so if you feel the need though!
Mix the dry ingredients making sure the baking soda is nicely mixed. Then start to fold into your buttery mix, it should be quite dry looking and take a while to incorporate.
Fold through your chopped Dark Chocolate!
I used 4 rows of Whittakers 72% dark chocolate which was the perfect flavour complement! Kept it just sweet enough to be a treat but was balanced with the dark chocolate's bitterness and also makes you feel better knowing that it's dark choc haha.
Bake at 175C for 8-10 minutes or until browning occurs.
9 was perfect for me and gave me a less crunchy texture which is what I was looking for :)
Enjoy these awesome vegan cookies !
- These weren't as chewy as I was expecting but I actually prefer my cookies a bit more soft anyways so it was amazing to me! If you would like it to be more chewy I would recommend adding more brown sugar.
- I did try melting butter to try to see if that would make them chewier and decreased it down to the 1/2 tsp baking soda - that somehow made them more cakey.. so I would stick to softened butter ! I had read somewhere that melted butter was better for chewy but not with this I guess (I have tried this recipe out another 3 x and the first time I did it was still the best a combo of good creaming of the softened butter and sugar and less flour than what Vegan chowdown's recipe used).
- If you really want to cream the sugar and butter you can use an electric mixer but I don't find that necessary! A lil elbow grease makes these cookies taste better anyways :P
- These taste pretty f*%#ing good as cookie dough.. just saying
- Dipped in warm soy milk with a good book is sort of an amazing way to end your night or to enjoy on your days off :3
With love and thanks to Vegan Chow Down being the main inspiration for this dish - I have tried many many different variations of choc chip cookies using vegan ingredients and this is by far the best one. I have manipulated the measurements to suit my kitchen and please note that I am in Oceania so your measurements may be a bit different.