The perfect muffins to take when you want to be a bit different! Great for feijoa lovers or haters - one of us isn't too big of a fan and these went down a treat.
Great to make sure there aren't too many sweet things at a party/ for a pot luck :)
What you'll need to make 12 medium sized muffins
1c smashed feijoa
80g / 3/4c melted butter
3/4 c caster sugar
1/2 c sour cream
1 orange zested & juice OR use everything! - boil them for an hour if you want to step up your muffin game*
1 Tbsp Thea Matcha
1c Sourghum flour
1c Buckwheat flour
1 tsp rock salt (optional)
1/4-1/2 c diced or crumbled cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 large mixing bowls
Knife & Chopping board
Small bowl / pot to melt your butter
Preheat oven to 200C
1. Cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy - this may take five to ten minutes. Mix in your feijoas to create a smooth paste
2. Mix your wet ingredients into the sugary-butter mix - eggs one at a time, then your sour cream and orange
3. Sift your remaining dry ingredients together in another bowl - combine well then sift over your wet mix and fold until all wet - it's totally okay to have lumps, we don't want to over mix this!
4. Fold through your crumbled or diced cream cheese.
5. Spoon evenly into your muffin tin - this recipe is best for 12. Bake for around 20 mins/ a skewer comes out clean or with very little crumb, depending on how you like it
6. Let cool in tins for 10 mins then pop out to cool completely on a wire rack - but really we go in while it's piping hot :P
- *A boiled orange will create added flavour and moisture to your muffin - using an immersion blender is helpful in making sure all of the orange skin and flesh is incorporated. This is how it's done with an 'Orange and Almond cake' as well - such a beautiful cake !
- This will be a denser/ 'gummier' muffin due to the lack of gluten to create that stretch but they are still super yummy and satisfying.