Similar to a swiss roll, the castella cake is a light, fluffy sponge that isn't too sweet and perfect to have with toppings and make look aesthetic. Choose this cake to make if you want to impress.
Recipe has come from one of our favourite YouTuber's Nino's Home! Check out their YouTube channel for more.
Recipe from oh nino with the addition of matcha.
- 70g plain flour
- 2 tsp matcha (up to you)
- 2g Salt
- 70g Unsalted butter
- 80ml Milk
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1Tsp Vanilla extract
- 5 Egg whites
- 1/4Tsp Lemon juice
- 90g Sugar
Mold size square 16cm
I used a regular loaf tin
- Sift your flour, matcha and salt into a bowl
- Boil the unsalted butter, then add the milk and take off the heat
- Pour the butter-milk mix over your dry mix and whisk. It should be smooth and thick.
- Separate your egg whites and yolks.
- Beat your egg whites, add in the lemon juice and beat until it starts to show bubbles. We used a kitchenaid at medium speed.
- Pour the sugar in two parts slowly until they reach soft peaks
- Add the yolks to the butter, flour milk mix.
- Combine both together using folding motions and pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Place on a tray with water.
- Bake at 150℃ for 70-80 minutes or until a stick comes out clear.